Monday, August 22, 2011

Difficulty With Pronouncing Names

Dear Friends and Neighbors:
I’ve always had some difficulty remember names—but this is way over the top!  The following are a few I must try to pronounce and  remember?  I’m in considerable trouble here. 
First are the Taiwanese.  Sister Taylor asked, “Are there two Chen’s?” 
“No, there are three Chen’s:  Two elders--1) Ching Yu Chen and 2) Yu Cheng Chen, followed by Sister Hsuan Fan Chen.”
“Which one is which?” she asked?  Shall I call on Ching Yu or Yu Cheng?”
“Call on whoever you want,” I said, bewildered!
But there is much more to overwhelm my fragile mind:  there is Yu Chen Yu, Tsai Tsen Chu and Cheng Hao Yang.  They  are followed by Hui-Yi Wang, Ming-Shiou Tzou, Lin Yi Shin, Wan Jung Tsai and Shu-Shan Yeh. 
Further we have Ting Hao Li and Che-Hao Liu. But don’t forget Ching-yn Liang and Chun Xing Liu!  I need to see a doctor and get some medication! 
You think this is a challenge?  In this same batch of missionaries, we have the wonderful Mongolians!  I thought I could begin to at least pronounce some of the Taiwanians (sp??) or Taiwanese or missionaries from Taiwan and Hong Kong, but I have utterly failed wrapping my mind, my mouth and my tongue around these Mongolians.  You try it!!!:   
Davaajav Davaanyan, Enkhtaivan Ganbaatar, Jargalsuren Ganzorigt, Ariunbold Baigalmaa, Buyanbat Dagvadorj, Bulgan Chimedbadam, Bolortuya Enkhbayar, Bayartsetseg Oyuntsetseg  Bayartsogt Lkhagvajav, Purevsuren Narantuya, Mainbayar Purevsaikhan, Bataa Ulziibayar, Uyanga Erdene-Ochir, Erdenesuvd Olzbayer, Khongorzul Enkhsaikhan, and…Uuriintuya Zorigt! 
I won’t go further by mentioning the names of the marvelous multiplying Pilipino missionaries.  I thought I was making a little progress but now I have been blown away!  With this class, nearly half of them come from the Asian Area.  This place is growing!!!  We can’t pronounce their names but we sure love them.  And…we love you.   
George & Debra Taylor
p.s. You’ll want to read Sister Taylor’s experience with “Foam Peanuts!”  Attached.   

No comments:

Post a Comment