Saturday, March 31, 2012

Blind Since Birth


I experienced an epiphany and apocalypse the other day after reading Mathew 9:27-30.  I became conscious of one of the reasons, why I believe in Jesus Christ and want to follow Him.

The New Testament records,
And when Jesus departed thence, two blind followed him, crying and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on us. And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him; and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord.
Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.
And their eyes were opened…



 I have read many times about the Savior’s healing powers during his ministry and after his resurrection.  I realized my own need for those blessings. I especially need the restoration of my sight.  I acknowledge the spiritual handicap of my weak eyes and poor vision since my birth.  My separation from My Father in Heaven has blinded me!  The veil has shrouded and dimmed my eyes and makes me blind.

Along with me, have you experienced blindness in four areas?: 1) Nearsightedness (Myopia),  2) Farsightedness (Hyperopia),  3) Astigmatism and, 4) Convergence Insufficiency (CI).  May I explain further?

1.      Nearsightedness is when you can see close up better than you can see in the distance. Maybe I could say that I have been “short-sighted”, focusing only on that which was “right under my nose”. At times I have totally depended on “seeing to believe”. By doing so, I have missed the big picture; become self centered, obsessive, even lost the vision to give me faith and hope.

2.      Farsightedness is when you can see far away better than you can see up close. This farsightedness has caused me to “shoot beyond the mark”; forgetting the importance of being “close and personal” which builds relationships and then worrying about that which too far in the future and beyond my control.

3.      Astigmatism is when you have distortion in addition to a blurring of vision. My perception has been faulty and unclear. I have thought that what I saw was clear when in reality it is a “mirage”. I have become offended when there was no offense intended and misinterpreted reality.
4.    
           Convergence Insufficiency (CI) is where our two eyes are directed to an image but one of the eyes will be slow to follow causing a division of vision. Focusing has been difficult, if not impossible and I have wavered, vacillated, and become “double minded”. I have had to train my eyes to work together to become “eye single.”

Along with these blindness consequences which I have personally spiritually experienced,  here are a few other symptoms of spiritual blindness: 

Short Attention Span; Inability to Concentrate; Confusion; Distraction; Avoiding Eye Contact; Headaches; Trouble Remembering; Misjudgment; Making Unnecessary Mistakes; Becoming Overly Frustrated or Angry; Loss of Depth Perception; Loss of Coordination; Procrastination.

After all, when the blind lead the blind, “both fall into the ditch.”! I don’t want to fall into any more ditches; I want to see the bull’s eye clearly without “spinning my wheels” and without having “crossed eyes.”

 I have decided to continue my groping to follow the Savior, crying unto him for mercy upon me, that “my eyes are open, and I see”!

Debra S. Taylor March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment