Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Special Shirt Donation

From Sister Taylor:
“I entered my office and found a plastic grocery bag on the seat of my chair.  After opening the bag especially tied in the middle with a knot, I was almost overcome with the smell of Clorox.
Inside the sack, starched, pressed and folded, were six white shirts left for donation to missionaries.  As I removed the shirts to check the sizes, one caught my attention with two hand-stitched button-holes.  At first, I thought the shirt was completely handmade. 
After close examination, I found that it was factory sewn but had been repaired with a twice-turned collar and cuffs. I thought of the person, probably a woman, who had searched for white cloth to make repairs.  She copied the collar and cuffs the best she could, but when she attached them to the shirt, they didn’t quite fit.  Most of us would wear the old shirt for work or for cleaning in and not worry about its repair. 
I could imagine the love and pride of the woman for the man who wore the shirt.  I wish I could meet them.  I guess I never will.  But, the remembrance of the donated shirt came quickly to my mind last Saturday as new missionaries arrived in the Philippines MTC.  I saw a sweet Philippine mother hug and kiss her son as she said good-bye to him before he entered the door in his newly-pressed white shirt.”

All of our Love,
George & Debra Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment