Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tink, Tink, Heevy!


Dear Friends and Neighbors:

            I am happy with my brain.  It is not as swift nor as bright as other brains, but stuff which I have put into it and then scrounged up from time to time has given me a lot of joy and satisfaction over the years.  It has worked reasonably well if I have used mental exertion.  The fact that I can think and then act is quite a remarkable phenomenon.  I try to observe and understand how the young mind works.  Some folks have not yet discovered their brains.  Someone said, “Think!  It may be a new experience!” 

            Please check out Sister Taylor’s recent wonderful article, “Tink,Tink, Heevy!” 

 
Love,

George & Debbie

Tink, Tink, Heevy!

In August 2012, Elder Ian S. Ardern, Second Counselor in the Philippines Area Presidency, spoke to the missionaries in the Philippines MTC about the importance of pondering.

He related an experience he had as mission President in Fiji when he asked his missionaries to define the word, “Ponder.”   One of his missionaries from Papua New Guinea raised his hand and replied in his local accent, “Tink, Tink Heevy!” Or as we would say, “Think, Think, Heavy!” I loved that statement!

While I was “tink, tinking” about pondering, I looked up the dictionary definition: “to weigh in the mind with thoroughness and care, and to think upon and incubate.”  

The lyrics of the children’s hymn by Jaclyn Thomas Milne also came to my mind:  “Search, ponder, and pray, are the things that I must do. The Spirit will guide, and deep inside, I know the scriptures are true.” 

What is the value of pondering? Why would the Lord ask us to do it? 

I remembered the Savior counseling the Nephites to go to their homes to ponder, pray and prepare their minds for the morrow (3 Nephi 17:3).

Apparently because I am so weak, I’m not able to understand, remember, and apply the truths that God wants me to know.  It isn’t enough for me to simply read, hear, or skim over the words of the scriptures.  I find that I must prepare.  My mind, my eyes, my heart must be single and focused.

The Lord says “... my friends, I leave these sayings with you to ponder in your hearts, with this commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall call upon me while I am near-- Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you.” (D&C 88:62-64).

Could pondering be the invocation and benediction to prayer?  Could pondering be the act of drawing near and seeking diligently?  I have seen the teachers and missionaries here at the MTC take a small moment before they begin and end their prayers.  Can you imagine the power and blessing that we would receive if we pondered before we began to read the scriptures and prayed?

As I read 3 Nephi 17:17-18 I found that the blessings of pondering are profound.  Here are just a few: repentance, forgiveness, healing, vision, the Holy Ghost, What more would we want to seek or want?

May each of us “Tink, Tink, Heevy!” so that the ultimate gift of the Father “drawing near to us,” will be granted.

Debra Taylor  09-14-2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment