Saturday, June 23, 2012

Diligence like Spider Webs


Dear Friends and Neighbors:
            Are you afraid of spiders?  We have all kinds here in the Philippines—big ones and small ones.  But we can learn a lesson from them.  See Sister Taylor’s attachment relating to some of their qualities.  You will enjoy it, be scared (Philippians 2:12, Mormon 9:27), and like it—as I was!
George & Debbie
GT & DT 

DILIGENCE
This past Sunday I was asked to speak on the topic of diligence. I tried to think of a visual representation which would make the subject easier to identify, define and be more tangible.
I have always been amazed by small spiders who can weave such complex and strong spider webs.  Would you agree that spiders fit into the category of being diligent in their work?  My curiosity led me to search for the largest and strongest individually-constructed spider web in the world.  
 I found a 2-centimeter Darwin’s Back Spider that created an orb web measuring 82 feet spanning a Madagascar river.  I discovered that the silk produced by the spider is stronger than Kevlar (a product which is 5 times stronger than steel). This particular spider creates a supporting strand that anchors the end points of the web to the branches of a tree and then forms radial threads. Stretchy and sticky silk is then used to weave the spiral web. The spider waits patiently to envelop its catch in a tight silk cocoon.
The reason I chose a spider and its web for my talk is because of characteristics that define diligence.  Here are a few of these attributes:  consistent, dedicated, earnest, effort, effective, efficient, enduring, energetic, industrious, persistent, steady, and steadfast.  Some rewards of possessing the attribute of diligence, are joy, satisfaction, prosperity and security.
The spider’s main supporting strands need to be steadfast--stronger than steel. The radial threads must be consistent and effective to prevent weak spots and vulnerability.  Industrious and efficient is an understatement when considering the massive area of the web.  More importantly are the last threads; they add support to the center which grows heavy with the catch. The spider must remain steady and persistent in its effort as it winds round and around ever enduring to the end.
I don’t know how long it took the Darwin Back Spider to build her web.  Maybe the Spider has only enough time to construct one web in a life-time.  I might not be 82 feet tall but I might live to be 85 years old. Like the spider, I am constructing my own life-web.  Isn’t it amazing that the things in which I become diligent eventually become part of me?  I hope I don’t get caught up in a snare or a snag fashioned by myself.  I hope when I’m done, I have endured diligently weaving my strong silk web. 
Debra Sue Taylor, June 2012
Photograph Credit: Lalueza-Fox, C.;  Agnarsson, I.; Kuntner, M.; Blackledge, T.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment