Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Story of a Missionary Who Didn't Tell His Parents!

Dearest Friends and Ward Members:
In our last “batch” of missionaries, we encountered a little problem with one of our MTC missionaries.  This young man joined the church but he did not tell his parents!
His parents thought he was going to school, he would graduate, he would then work to support them (which is customary in Asian countries). 
Instead of graduating, he determined to go on a mission, but as I said, kept it hid from  his parents.  So here he is in the MTC, hiding out, anxious to serve a mission!  He came sheepishly in to ask me a question:   
“President, do you think I should tell my parents?”
“Are they members of the Church?”
“No.”
“Do you think they should know what you’re doing?”
“No.”
“Why not?”
“They won’t let me go on my mission.”
“You are of age?  No one can force you to go or to stay”
“I’m afraid!” 
“I think you should tell them!”  “Let’s call your stake president and see if he can help.” 
                Well, before I could call, the stake president called the Area President, the Area President called me and then I called the stake president.  He had two parents screaming and yelling at him, demanding that the young missionary return home immediately!  The stake president was beside himself and didn’t know what to do. 
                Well, the story continues.  I had the elder talk with them on the telephone.  I wrote a very fine letter with a photo of the MTC and all of his “batch-mates.”  The president finally calmed the parents down just a bit.  They demanded to come up to the MTC (a 14-hour trip, by boat and by bus) to see their son, bring him home, or investigate.  The stake president decided he and his wife would accompany them all the way and felt that he could help begin to convert them to the gospel. 
So, here’s the thing!  In his visits with the parents, the stake president discovers that several years ago, the parents joined the church!  They became immediately less active; they never told their son that they were members of the Church! 
The Mother and brother came, she saw, she left.  The stake president hopes to activate the parents and family.  The elder continued his training and has now transferred to the mission field for his mission! 
ADDENDUM:  The stake president and wife came to the MTC with the mother and brother.  While I am giving them a tour of the building, the SP smiles and nods.  I later find that he has a son also in the same group.  He and his wife never ask to see their son, speak with their son or acknowledge that they have a son in the MTC.  The son never asks to see his father and mother, speak with them or acknowledge that he sees his parents in the MTC.  And, 14 hours of travel two ways.  What commitment!!

We love you! 
George T. Taylor, President
Philippines Missionary Training Center

No comments:

Post a Comment